Thursday, June 9, 2011

Funny thing happened today...

Let me rephrase that...

In retrospect a funny thing happened today, but definitely NOT while it actually happened...

Does that even make sense?!?

Anyways, lemme splain this situation to ya...

So I was busy at work today and (mind you I work in a lab and wear the white coat and gloves and all...) I was getting some samples ready to run when my glove slipped over a tube top and it felt HORRIBLE...

Like-think in this frame of mind...my hand just slipped and it feels as though I have ripped my entire thumb nail clean off from my thumb, you know, easy stuff like that...

Yes, in my head, this was the scenario that was happening

You know what makes it worse?

The fact that I am wearing GLOVES and CANNOT see what has actually happened to my thumb and nail (that I was currently praying WAS still attached...)

So, also keep in mind that for the better part of my life, when things super freak me out, I have an M.O.

I faint (read #6 on this post)

That's right, screw reality folks, I take the high road and pass out on the world, no need to literally feel the pain when I can go into my darkness and not even remember things...

tons better, right?

or, in my case today, maybe not...

(I promise the kinda funny part is coming)

So, lucky for me I had been working on a raised chair which I was sitting on...doing work on my lab bench with things neatly placed around for convenience...such as the tips I was using for my pipette and something to shake up my samples, samples in ice and a trash can beside me for ease of disregarding my trash into...

So, back to the swing of things- I was feeling overwhelmed by this "my thumb nail is torn off...OMG" that I tried my best to put my head down at my work area and take in some deep breaths, full on knowing my next task was...you guessed it...to faint...

Then, it must have happened (the fainting part) and low and behold I think someone must have been watching over me and my clumsy/accident prone self, cuz I neatly fell to my right side where I had placed none other than the extremely tall


trash can

Yes, you can laugh now, this is the "funny"...I fainted onto the trash can...it was basically holding up my silly self along with the swivel chair I was on...

At the moment of waking, I was half wondering "where the H-E-Double hockey sticks am I?", then promptly realized I was being held by a trash can on my row at work.

If anyone actually saw me, they left me or didn't bother to say anything to me the rest of the day...but the lab was still pretty empty and no one usually passes by unless they have to use the restroom and pass by my row...

This was probably in my best interest (talk about being hugely embarrassed...)

So, thank goodness for the trash can is all I can say...otherwise I would have fallen

all
the

way

down

to

the

floooooooor...tada!

And who knows, maybe I woulda picked up a concussion along with my thumb injury (and no worries, nail still intact and you can barely see that anything actually happened to it..)

Now all I have is a bum thumb and a horrible back and neck ache...sweeeet

Lesson learned: always place trash can near me in case I decide to be clumsy, it's pretty awesome at holding me up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment