Friday, October 14, 2011

Old Wives Tales, part I

Being pregnant has given me a chance to fall into looking at all the old wives tales about gender

Some of them are quite funny

Body Changes
(taken from http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-baby/gender-prediction/old-wives-tales/)
  • If you prefer sleeping on your left side, you'll have a boy. Right side? A girl.
  • Extreme nausea means you are having a girl.
  • If your hands are dry, you are having a boy; soft -- expect a girl.
  • If you're craving citrus, you're having a girl.
  • If your skin breaks out, expect a girl.
  • If you feel graceful during pregnancy, you'll have a girl. Clumsy? It's a boy.
  • If you gain weight in your face, it means you're having a girl.
  • Craving salt? Expect a boy. A little something sweet? You're having a girl.
  • If your right breast is larger than the left, you are having a girl. If the left is larger, a boy.
  • Feeling extremely moody? Expect a girl.
Well, in my case, most of these situations point to boy, but there are the occasional ones that say girl!

I also read some in one of the books I have that were really funny...I will post them later (if I remember!)

The thing I find the best is at work...I work with a few Chinese women and they have insisted on once a week performing a test on me ever since I told the news at work that I was expecting.

It's really quite simple and I love to see their expression at the results:
Basically there is a pencil that has a sewing needle pushed into the eraser part where a thread is put through to allow the pencil to dangle. They hold/dangle the pencil over my wrist where my pulse is evident. They start the pencil from a stand still just above my skin and wait for either a circle (girl) or a line (boy).

This morning one woman tried both wrists and got circles (girl), whereas the other woman tested both wrists and got lines (boy).

So, again, who knows! We will be finding out at our party on Oct. 22nd

and I am anxiously counting down the days!!

1 comment:

  1. Haha...I loved doing these little "tests" while I was pregnant. Usually, it was 50/50, but sometimes, it leaned more towards "boy" than "girl." And, well...clearly, we didn't have a boy ;)

    ReplyDelete