Monday, March 7, 2011

Hidden Talents

I was looking for some great picture to show my favorite hidden talent off, but I came up with something better! This guy can do much more than I can, so I have something to aspire to if you will...(I am also impressed that he was also a collegiate volleyball player as well!)


You have to check out the Multimedia link at the top of that page...he does some pretty neat stuff with kids, which I think is great, getting yougsters active and loving something as simple as jumping rope at an early age...

But to get the full effect of my hidden talent, watch the media clip on the page and wait til it gets to about 54 seconds...and I CAN DO THAT (just ask my husband)! It's crazy, but I can jump rope on my bottom...seems silly, and I really have no idea how or even why I chose to try this out...

May have stemmed from being told back in club volleyball that for warm-ups we had to jump rope for 10 minutes to warm up before games, and I thought it might be funny to try something to make people laugh...something out of the ordinary...

So there I sat on the gymnasium floor (in a HUGE gymnasium floor for that matter) and I took my rope in one hand, swung it around my head like a helicopter propeller and commenced in some "tush-ups" as they are called in the article (I was just calling it butt jumping, but tush-ups seems more appropriate).

I don't think I could come close to beating this guys' record in the Guinness Book of World Records...need more practice! I do have fun and it tends to make people either crazy amazed or laugh hysterically (or both!)...you should give it a try sometime...but I warn you, the rope is not so forgiving if you miss and slap the rope into your leg, leaving a nice mark!




Other crazy things I can do...


I can wiggle my ears...No, not using my hands like any person can do...I can think about my ears, and move them up and down (even without making my face squish and cringe during the process!) Of course, this doesn't seem so neat if you have met others who can partake in it too...which I have...


I also can wiggle my toes in order to make my big toe or the toe next to it go behind/underneath...apparently not all people can do this, as my husband gets freaked out when I do it and cannot do it himself (or so he claims...)


I can also (or claim to use to be able to) hold my breath for a REALLY long time...don't try me now....but back in the day when I did synchronized swimming(~age 12) -yea, that ballet in the water stuff- I could hold my breath for about 2 full minutes...We used to have to swim laps in a pool (not a kiddie pool either, like a big lap pool...) without breathing, if we could...it helped so much during competitions, since everything needed to be "together" with everyone else in the water...




Those were crazy days...kinda looked something like the following...
And no, the people supporting these two are not standing on the pool bottom (or handstands for that matter...)


I actually performed a stunt very similar to this where I was being held out of the water in a split...crazy!


The fact that I did synchro for about 2 years also made me very agile in the water...leading to my last hidden talent...I can treat water for hours if I needed to...I remember back when I was a lifeguard they made you tread water while holding a rubberized brick above the water, and this seemed so juvenile to me...almost like a joke...I can't remember how long you needed to do this task, but I could have lasted way longer!


Well enough weird things about me, got any hidden talents of your own you would like to share?



1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have lots of cool things that you can do!! The toush-ups made me laugh!! i can't do much really, the only thing I can do is blow breath out in this weird way so it sounds sort-of like a trumpet..but no one is ever impressed, they just say it's weird :p

    ReplyDelete